Friday, October 10, 2008

Synopsis Hell

I'd say kill me now, but then I wouldn't be around to find an agent. :-D

No, it seriously isn't *that* bad, but it *is* more stressful than the query letter process (which, by the way, I have a decent draft of now that I'm still nitpicking). I'll say this: when you're biased to your work and subconsciously know everything that is going on, has gone on, etc. in your story, it tends to be first nature to write a crappy first draft of your synopsis that leaves people who've never read your story thinking "WTF?"

And it came out this way even after researching, understanding which plot points I wanted to use, having a formula (which I'm pretty sure I ended up straying from -- but hey, I got the dang thing written, that's a step in the right direction!), and the core conflict, etc. But I am moving forward, for the most part. I've stalled the last few days because of stress levels -- I tend to be waaaay too hard on myself. It's the perfectionist in me -- but plan on reworking what I have tonight and this weekend.

As for random non-book things, my kid (the fetus) is going to be a wild child. I've been feeling her movements since 12 weeks and she still amazes me! It's like watching the "Alien" when I look at my tummy sometimes. I'm going to have my hands full.

No comments:

Post a Comment