Sunday, December 7, 2008

Christmas, Book Buying, Twitter and Progress


I've finally finished all but two gifts on my Christmas list. Woohoo! Yes, I am one of those big pre-planner people that can hardly wait to buy the gifts for people let alone give them to them and watch with pure delight as they open it. I'm worse than a child. Literally. If I get my husbands present before his birthday, chances are he's going to get to open it before his birthday because I won't be able to wait that long (even if it's a day away) for him to open it. I'm weak. I'm horribly weak.

I also got the rest of our Christmas decorations up. Well, I've motivated my husband to get the rest of them up anyway (and helped -- which is sad considering I did it ALL last year, hmph). So, Merry Christmas from the Jones'! Of course, the picture does it no justice in my opinion. My bushes are blue blinking lights and there's no way for them to all be lit up at the same time. The two white blobs on the left are snowmen, there are candy canes around the tree, lighted presents below, and two reindeer. And behind the big reindeer is a pretty sparkly blue lit up sign that says "Peace on Earth". I also forgot to open my blinds to show our pretty white light Christmas tree in the window! And we have lighted holly's on the inside windows on the side of the house that you can't see in this picture. Anyway, as you can tell, very proud here!

Now, onto other stuff. Book buying! How are you doing with your pledges? Have you decided which one's to put on your Christmas list yet? I asked everyone I know that reads to make sure a book is on their list (and to know that's more than likely what I'm going to get them). I did have to succumb to buying 2 used books (for myself not as gifts of course) but have bought the rest new. In November I bought 2 new books, and this month I've bought a few more. Jeffrey Archer's A Prisoner of Birth for my mom, Adrienne Kress' Alex and the Ironic Gentleman (1 for me and 1 for my friends 10 year old), Edgar Cayce's Edgar Cayce on Atlantis (from Santa for me), Losing My Virginity: How I've Survived, Had Fun, and Made a Fortune Doing Business My Way by Richard Branson for my step-dad, and Writing Short Scripts by William H. Phillips for my hubby.

I really, really want to own a copy of The Story by Robert McKee. I haven't bought it yet because I put it on our Christmas wish list. We have the audio CD's, but there is just something about having the book!

I could dwell on this subject longer (books and which ones to buy . . . any suggestions?) but this blog is becoming its own novel as it is.

Twitter! I've just started up and I bet I won't remember to keep up with it. Hah! So, if you tweet, check me out. I'll do my best to be a responsible tweeter.

As for my personal writing world, I still have one manuscript out in the query world. My picture book is in it's revision stage, I've decided to switch point of view. It was first person, but I'm going to play around with third person and see which one works best.

As for my new BIG project, which is yet to be named (oddly - - I almost always have a title first, but maybe this is a good sign?), I'm in the R&D stage. I have about 3 books to start reading, along with listening to The Story. I'm just itching to start getting some words typed, but I'm worried if I do it will all change once I'm done researching anyway. We'll see how this week goes. I may just try at a first chapter. I plan on typing away and giving myself word count goals come January, before the baby arrives. My main goal is to have this baby completely finished, revised and polished by April.

How is everyone else's progress in whatever they're doing in life? And what's your book list look like? Have you bought any for relatives and friends this season? I'm wanting to build my book list, so offer me some suggestions!


2 comments:

  1. We hope you enjoy the gift of Edgar Cayce on Atlantis that Santa gave you for Christmas! :)

    We are on Facebook under the Association for Research and Enlightment and on MySpace as Edgar Cayce. We'd love to have you as a friend of ours.

    You can also find out more information about Edgar Cayce and the A.R.E. at EdgarCayce.com. We have lots of books that you might be interested in (Visit ARECatalog.com).

    Have a great holiday season and good luck with your pending arrival!

    Take Care,
    Amanda @ Edgar Cayce's A.R.E.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's taking me a while to get into the Christmas spirit. I just decorated the tree yesterday, and it felt kind of like a chore.

    I've been buying tons of books, though. And I plan to buy some more for Christmas presents!

    ReplyDelete