Monday, April 12, 2010

Still Coming Off My High

Cloud 9 high, that is. :D

This weekend was a complete blast. A great birthday present, if I do say so myself. I'm still coming off the cloud, so today's post shall be nothing but pure giddiness and none sense. Maybe I'll have something more useful and educational to say once I fall back into normal-life-routine. All I'm really going to say today is:
  1. If you haven't been to DFWCon, register for next year! Seriously, amaaaaazing.
  2. A writer can never stop learning and mastering their craft.
  3. Perseverance is a key quality if you wanna make it in this biz.
  4. My favorite: AGENTS ARE HUMANS. Really. They're not some cyborg creation that have no emotion and enjoy automatically rejecting writers. They live (gasp), breathe (gasp), and have a sense of humor (no way!). Seriously. And what's more important that goes along with this:
  5. Going to conferences is a must as a writer. I understand why so many agents sign on clients they've met at conferences. Think about it. That chemistry you can't obtain over the interwebz and e-mail. More on this later.
  6. The house doesn't burn down if I'm gone for 2 days. And the kids are still alive.

I'll eventually climb down and post a real, you know, brain-growing post. But for now I'm going to continue to bask in the greatness that was this weekend (and um, my birthday), because waking up from a good dream is never something I want to rush in doing.

16 comments:

  1. So glad it was full of goodness! I'm envious.

    And Happy Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday! Enjoy the thrills they are worth relishing for as long as possible. It's also totally infectious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I'd been able to talk to you more at the conference this weekend, but glad I got to say hello in person. I agree - it was a great conference and very inspiring. Happy Birthday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Karen, me too! LOVED your book purse, so adorable! Maybe we can meet up again sometime soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. :) The agent I pitched to liked my book-purse so much she wants to have them made for her debut author clients. Very cool, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad the conference was such a huge success for you! As for agents as humans... well, I'll have to take your word for that, never having met one myself. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. so glad it went so well and happy bday again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you had a good birthday/conference. It's not just that you learn good things at conferences, but there's definitely something validating about being in a group of like-minded professionals.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hah, Ink! Thanks Ink and Jenn. And yes, Bryn, definitely the truth. That's one of the best parts of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you had a good time at the conference.
    I'm soooo not a conference person.

    Glad to hear that agents are hooman beans. I hope I get to find out for myself one day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never been to a conference, but I really want to go sometime.

    Glad you had a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello! Thanks for coming by and following my blog - so pleased Hilary did that post as it has introduced me to some lovely blogs, yours included!

    Happy birthday for last weekend, and it sounds like you had a great time celebrating. I have never been to a writing conference or festival yet, but it's on the list of things to do! And totally agree about perseverance - it's all about moving onwards. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for stopping by, Jayne! You'll definitely have to try a conference soon, so worth it! Be seeing you around ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love going to conferences. It's always so inspiring. And I couldn't agree more -- meeting agents face to face is so much better than stalking, er, researching them on the internet! Happy belated birthday :)

    ReplyDelete