Jessa's the last half-mortal around to set things straight with the Underworld. Not cool, especially when Hades is the one out to destroy her soul. To add to the creep factor, her new powers show her the plans of the Underworld through cryptic visions. An apocalypse is coming, and Jessa needs to stop it. But no matter how much Underworld daemon ass she has to kick, Hades doesn’t seem to take the hint.
Hades gets personal by threatening everyone she loves, mortals and immortals alike, including her trainer Apollo, the god she’s falling for. Embracing her inner badass, Jessa brings the fight to Hades. But putting Hades back in his place, literally, and stopping the destruction of mortals is, well, a Herculean task. And Jessa's still not sure she's cut out for the job.
All the fun bio stuff at the end, etc. etc....but now, taking that small blurb and turning it into two pages is the mother of all headaches (for me, anyway). Why? Because, I love my story so much, I have the curse of wanting to share EVERY BIT OF DETAIL and it's like pulling eyelashes out trying to figure out what I should keep out and what I should keep in. Really, it probably isn't as bad as I'm making it out to be. Really. I go through stages, I think. Like:
The 7 Stages of Synopsis Hell
- Shock: Holy crap! There's this awesome Rock Star Agent that requires a synopsis? Noooo! Life is over as I know it! Ah!
- Denial: I don't need to write a synopsis. No way. Not gonna do it. Besides, I stink at writing them anyway. Not gonna do it. Nope!
- Bargaining: Come on shiny, pretty, awesome MS, acquire the RSA without the synopsis, please, please, I'll do anything! I'll lock myself in my office (um, the kitchen) and hack away at the next WIP overnight if you can just do this for me!
- Guilt: But if I don't do it, poor MS won't have the best chance at acquiring Rock Star Agent. ZOMG- I HAVE to write one now. I think I may hurl. *begins The Synopsis*
- Anger: *after the first attempt* WHY ME? Why must the synopsis be so cruel? Synopses are evil, stupid, horrible creatures. WHY DO YOU EXIST, EVIL SYNOPSIS?
- Depression: *after the first twenty attempts* I suck at this. I will never write a good synopsis. Hand me my bag of dark chocolates so I can hide beneath my covers and wallow over my suckitude at not being able to write the synopsis-that-must-be-written-but-hasn't-yet-because-I-suck! How can I write a complete brilliant (toot the horns again) MS and not a synopsis? What kind of lame writer does that make me? Where's my Xanax?
- Acceptance/Hope: *reading over last several drafts and hearing encouragement from awesome crit partner(s)* You know, these aren't that heinous. I bet if I tweak this here, cut that over there, and add some stuff here, it might work. Alright, bring over the pot of coffee, let's get this baby written so it finally resembles the awesomeness that it should be.